Jim Kotan's Blog

My blog to talk about a variety of "stuff"

Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Antivirus? What's that? I don't need that.. I am careful (UPDATED)


Best Free Antivirus Programs for 2019
So many folks today have no clue about the need for Antivirus software, or for BACKUPs, for that matter... 
I am sure you have heard of the "Ransomware" attacks, wherein a user opens an email they think is from someone they know, but is actually from "bad guy".   Depending on what program ("client", "app", whatever you wish to call it), you may or may not be protected from being infected simply by opening an email (not to mention the attachment!).

So, there are a lot of different Antivirus vendors out there.  Some are free, some cost.. Some *I CONSIDER* junk (which others swear by) and some *I* love...  Will they all protect you from Ransomware?  NOPE !!  "WHY", you ask?  Well, the creators of the viruses, Trojans, etc., are getting sneakier, and sneaker all the time...  They research in the "Dark Web" (yes, it REALLY DOES exist!!) about vulnerabilities in software packages, and how to exploit those vulnerabilities..
So the best things you can do are:
1. GET A REALLY GOOD ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM !
2. MAKE BACKUPS OF YOUR COMPUTER!!
Yes, I am intentionally shouting.

So here are some links to consider reviewing:

    • (NOTE: That list does not include FREE AV programs, such as 
    • Avast (My favorite)
    • Avira
    • AdAware
    • (and more)
Don't believe me?   Here is a link to another site that says many of the things I do - https://cipher.com/blog/10-personal-cyber-security-tips-cyberaware/

So hopefully this helps you.. Come back soon and see what gets posted next!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home